Vycon Flywheel UPS: A Green Energy Storage Solution… With an Impressive ROI
Today’s enormous demand for data storage is driving exponential data center growth in markets around the globe. Artificial Intelligence (AI), the Internet of Things/Industrial Internet of Things (IoT/IIoT), virtualization, the cloud, mobile communications and social media, all depend on the proper and swift handling of vast amounts of data. If there’s a power glitch or worse a blackout, data flow and processes come to a quick and expensive halt.
The power hungry nature of data centers makes them prime candidates for energy-efficient and green backup power solutions.
“Over time, each VYCON VDC flywheel system deployed saves users over $200,000 when compared to using valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries, making VYCON’s VDC system a financially attractive solution.”
Reliability, efficiency, cooling issues, space constraints, reoccurring battery costs and environmental issues are the prime drivers for implementing flywheel energy storage.
While the VDC system can work alongside batteries to absorb short duration power disturbances protecting the batteries from premature wear, many data center managers have eliminated batteries altogether in order to increase computing density and significantly reduce cooling costs. Moreover, the lifetime investment in the VDC energy storage system is much lower than that of batteries. Over time, each VYCON VDC flywheel system deployed saves users over $200,000 when compared to using valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries, making VYCON’s VDC system a financially attractive solution. Having your UPS paired with VYCON flywheels for instantaneous backup power is a smart and cost-efficient decision.
Immediate benefits of the VDC Energy Storage System:
- Reliability Improvement – 20X higher MTBF than a single string of batteries
- Small footprint – modular, scalable and compact
- No cooling required – saves energy and costs
- Energy efficient – 99.4% efficiency at 450kW
- Substantial ROI – Save hundreds of thousands of dollars over batteries
Flywheel or Batteries
- Flywheel Discharge Test – Video
- Replacement Battery Systems for UPS Equipment VRLA Batteries and How to Choose Them
- Exploring Lithium Ion Batteries in the Data Center – Video
- Data Center UPS and Power Conditioning