How to Use Your Budget to Future-Proof Your IT
A decades-long lack of funding for IT systems within the federal government created vulnerabilities that came to light on Tax Day 2018 when the Internal Revenue Service had an 11-hour outage — unexpected downtime that caused the agency to push back the income tax filing deadline a day. The ramifications of legacy IT systems opened eyes as to why change is necessary to ensure business continuity.
Government and defense organizations are finally getting the budget needed to update legacy systems. New legislation and policies like the Federal IT Acquisition Reform Act (FITARA), Modernizing Government Technology (MGT) Act, and the Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI) prioritize modernization and consolidation of IT infrastructure.
While you may understand the changes that need to be made within your organization, the challenge is determining how to use your budget in the smartest way possible while the budgetary focus is still on IT.
The key is to focus on modern and energy-efficient solutions that can scale and change as your organization does. You can invest in a total solution encompassing power, cooling, and monitoring, and upgrade or expand later if needed. In doing so, your organization will quickly reap the benefits such as energy and cost savings.
The Vertiv Liebert GXT4 TAA uninterruptible power supply (UPS) – recently updated to the GXT5 – is a flexible system due to its scalable features that ensure no interruption when transferring to battery. The GXT4 also allows you to do the following:
- Improve availability by controlling power to multiple devices
- Support up to six external battery cabinets for extended runtime
- Reduce energy consumption with selectable Eco-Mode operation
- Maximize uptime with replaceable, hot swappable internal batteries
As you consolidate your IT spaces, you face increasing rack power density, and reliable power distribution is crucial. Vertiv’s innovative TAA-compliant rack PDUs (rPDUs) not only maintain power, but they help address your IT challenges by enabling the following:
- Outlet level monitoring
- Reduced energy costs and increased efficiency
- Tight space installation due to compact size
- Power continuity through a color-coded U-Lock system that secures power cords and avoids accidental disconnections
To really be focused on the future, you need to monitor your critical IT infrastructure and the TAA-compliant Avocent ACS serial console server streamlines that effort. It connects to your UPS units and rPDUs, as well as the devices that may have been integrated via the four available USB ports, allowing you to view equipment on one dashboard. You can see errors and issues, and cycle equipment on and off, without ever leaving your office. Additionally, it provides:
- Secure and remote management of in-band and out-of-band network devices
- Fast, automated configuration with zero-touch provisioning
- Customizable access levels that comply with data center access and security policies
With Vertiv as your total solution provider, and Access, Inc as their local representative, you can have confidence that your budget will be maximized. And if your needs expand over time, you can feel at ease knowing that Vertiv has a comprehensive range of IT solutions that can grow with you, adhere to nearly any budget and help prevent unexpected downtime.